In trainers, in walking boots, with walking poles or with your four-legged friend: however you walk, take on an amazing challenge for World Alzheimer’s Month with the ARUK Explorer virtual hike.
Choose your distance and put in the miles between 1 September and before 31 October. Plus raise £200 for life-changing dementia research and you’ll receive an exclusive ARUK Explorer medal!
Why your walking matters so much
More people with dementia have died from COVID-19 in England and Wales than those with any other pre-existing condition. In fact, a quarter of COVID-19 deaths have been people with dementia.
One in three people born today will go on to develop dementia in their lifetime – but every step you take and every pound you raise has the power to change this through research.
Will you walk with us?
Choose your distance
How far you walk is up to you – but make sure it’s a challenge and make sure you brag about it!
Cambridge to Oxford
Walk the equivalent of the distance between Cambridge (our home city) and Oxford.
Walk a virtual coast to coast
Walk in the virtual footsteps of Wainwright and complete the famous cross-country distance.
Choose your own distance
Find a distance that suits you!
Honour a milestone birthday, or walk the distance between two places special to you.
How do I sign up?
- Sign up here to create your fundraising page and choose your distance (use our handy guide above!). Plus unlock your 25% Garmin discount and three month OS Maps subscription from Ordinance Survey. Find out more about OS Maps here, and get your free code when you sign up
- Share your page! Tell everyone what you’re doing and why you’re supporting dementia research.
- Get tracking. Connect a tracking app like Strava or MapMyFitness. You can also add your walks manually.
- Watch your miles and your fundraising go up – and unlock virtual badges as you go! Look out for exciting prize draws and incentives thanks to our partner Garmin.
- Complete the challenge by 31 October and receive your ARUK Explorer medal when you raise over £200.
Thanks to our partners
ARUK Explorer is in partnership with Garmin, who are running exciting and exclusive prize draws and incentives throughout the challenge – sign up today to be in with a chance to win! Find out more here.
ARUK Explorer is supported by Ordnance Survey, who are offering three months free subscription to OS Maps when you sign up, so you can find new routes and stay motivated throughout your challenge. Find out more about OS Maps here, and get your free code when you sign up.