What is ARUK Virtual Explorer?
ARUK Virtual Explorer is a brand new virtual hike for 2020 from Alzheimer's Research UK, in partnership with Garmin, supported by Ordnance Survey. We're challenging you to walk a distance of your choice and raise £200 for cutting-edge dementia research. ARUK Virtual Explorer runs from 1 September to 31 October 2020 and you can complete your challenge in any way throughout this time. If you raise over £200 you will recieve an ARUK Explorer wooden medal. By taking on this challenge for the UK's leading dementia research charity, you'll be helping make breakthroughs possible in dementia research for the 850,000 people living with dementia in the UK and their families. Go on, take on the challenge today :)
How does it work?
- Register to take part in ARUK Virtual Explorer
- Follow the steps to create a ARUK Virtual Explorer Just Giving Page, where people can view your progress and sponsor you.
- Connect your supporter page to either Strava or MapMyFitness to make sure your activity is tracked. Watch our videos about connecting your tracking app or you can manually add your runs on your supporter page.
- Make sure you track every activity you do, otherwise it won't be counted towards your total.
- Get outside! If you're looking for inspiration and motivation during your challenge, check out our #TeamARUK ARUK Virtual Explorer Facebook page, or get in touch to tell us your own story!
- Check your progress on the leaderboards and see how you or your team compare!
What distance do I need to cover?
We want you to pick a distance that suits you! Whether you want to do 10 miles or 1000 miles, or the equivalent on an iconic walk you've always wanted to do? Simply set your distance when you sign up and raise £200.
Can I change my challenge target?
Yes, simply log into your JustGiving account to change your target.
Can we take part as a team?
Yes! A team can be anyone you like: friends, family or work colleagues. When you register, you can create a team or join one if it’s already been set up. If you’re in charge of setting up the team, follow these simple steps:
- Create a name for your team while you’re registering.
- Once you’ve finished your registration and have set up your own team page, use the “Invite Members” button on your team page to send email invitations.
- If someone else has set up the team, just search for the team name when you’re registering and you’ll be automatically connected once you complete your registration.
How can I share my challenge with the media?
We have an easy to use press release and guide, available. If you need support with this then please get in touch with us at email@example.com
How do I hit my fundraising target?
When you sign up to ARUK Virtual Explorer an online fundraising page will be automatically created for you with a target of £200 (but you can increase this if you like!).
To make the most of your page, we recommend you:
- Add a photo – so everyone can see your face!
- Set a target – we know that pages with targets raise more.
- Complete the ‘About me’ section – tell people why you’re challenging yourself for Alzheimer’s Research UK.
- Share your page – as far and as wide as you can using email and social media.
- Update – keep updating your page and sharing it throughout your challenge.
How do I meet other people taking part in ARUK Virtual Explorer?
Join our ARUK Explorer Facebook group to meet other people who are passionate about dementia research.
Do I have to run the distance in one go?
Absolutely not! You can do it your own way – whether that's across the full two months or in a time that suits you. As long as you track all your activity with your tracking app you can complete the challenge however you choose.
How do I get a medal/tshirt?
At the end of the challenge we be in touch with how you can get your medal. You can buy an ARUK tshirt here.
I’m not a walker – can I still take part?
Of course! You can tailor this to your ability.
Where will the money I raise be used?
Money raised from ARUK Virtual Explorer will support Alzheimer's Research UK's world class research, including treatments, preventions and ultimately a cure for the diseases that cause dementia.
Your donations will help pay for state-of-the-art equipment and will fund research at every level, from PhD Studentships to Major Projects. The money raised during ARUK Virtual Explorer 2020 may also contribute towards one of our big research initiatives or awareness campaigns.
I don’t have a smartphone or a device capable of tracking my activity, can I still take part?
Yes! You can still set up your supporter page and add walks manually within JustGiving.
How do I connect my tracking device?
Check out these guides on how to connect your tracking device.
What is JustGiving?
JustGiving is the platform that's the home of our ARUK Virtual Explorer website and fundraising pages. We've been working with JustGiving for a number of years on our virtual events.
What is Alzheimer's Research UK's relationship with Garmin?
We're pleased to announce that Garmin has become the official sponsor of our sporting events, which also includes the ARUK Virtual Explorer. As part of the ARUK Virtual Challenge, Garmin are offering all participants a 25% discount- to get your code simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with your fundraising page link and we will send you a unique code and URL Garmin will also be providing a prize for Top Individual Fundraiser and Top Individual Distance (this will awarded based on who is top on our leaderboard on 2nd November at 10am.
What is Alzheimer's Research UK's relationship with Ordnance Survey?
We're pleased to announce that Ordnance Survey are supporting ARUK Virtual Explorer. We want to see as many people as we can getting active and exploring their local areas. As part of our partnership, Ordnance Survey are offering every participant 3 months free access to OS Maps, helping you get out and explore. To claim this offer email email@example.com with your fundraising page link and we will send you a unique code and URL.
Looking for more fundraising ideas?
Head here for some inspiration:.